Importing Your Data
We can assist with importing your data, whether it be from another system, or perhaps a spreadsheet containing client records.
In this article:
Importing your Data
Once you have made the decision to move over to Power Diary, we are able to assist with importing data into your Power Diary account as a once-off complimentary service. There are no charges associated with the import.
- If you are migrating from another system, it would be very helpful if you could please let us know which system you have extracted the data from. This will assist our Data Import Team when analysing and preparing your data for import.
- If your migration to Power Diary is time sensitive, we would be happy to discuss the option of booking your import in with our Team, to ensure that it gets the priority that it needs.
- Also, if you would like us to do an initial analysis of your data, to understand what can and can't be imported, our Team would be happy to do so if you would like to provide us with an interim dataset,
"What format does my data need to be in?"
- We require the Data to be in Excel (XLS or XLSX), CSV, TXT, ZIP, or XML format. We can also accept database backups in BAK, SQL, or MS Access format.
- We can't accept Data as HTML files (aside from Clinical notes), iCal appointment files nor Word, PDF or image formats
- **Data = Client details, Client tasks (upcoming notifications), Appointments (client, personal, and group), Clinical and Admin Notes, Services, Products, Referrers, Referrals, Contacts, Third Parties (Billers), Financial Data (Invoices, sale items and payments)
Files/Documents and HTML Notes
"How do I share my data with Power Diary?"
You can share your data with us directly via your Power Diary account, by selecting Setup → Data Import → Select Files or Drop Files Here → Submit. Our Data Import Team will then be alerted that your data is ready for analysis, and we will make contact to confirm that we have received your Data, and will keep you in the loop until your data has been imported.
If your file is too large to share directly via your Power Diary account, please let us know and we will supply you with an alternative option for sharing the data with us. The limit is 100MB to share via your Power Diary account.
"When can I upload my data?"
We can import your Data once you have made the decision to migrate to Power Diary. If you have not yet made a decision as to whether you are going to be moving over to Power Diary, the best way for you to gauge whether Power diary will fit your business needs would be to use your 14-day free Trial Period to assess that, and manually input test data yourself, for a small number of clients. Our Data Import Service is offered only to clients who have decided to migrate over to Power Diary, Focussing on importing for people who have decided to migrate, means we can take the time to understand and work with complex data and get a better outcome for people transitioning systems.
If you have less than, say, 50 clients and not a lot of linked data, we recommend that you input the data yourself. Our Data Import Team often has a pipeline of new imports, and it would be more expedient and quicker for you to input your own data when there is not a lot of it.
"How long will the import take"
Importing Files and Notes does take a little longer, as this is a more manual and time-consuming process. We would generally set an expectation for Files and Notes to be imported into your account within a week or two after your data has been imported into your account.
Plan to Bridge the Gap Period
There will always be a crossover period when switching systems, and the majority of our new clients manage this by means of manually inputting the new data that was created after the data from your previous system was exported, and where necessary, Merge Duplicate Clients to mitigate data loss. (ie: you can create basic client profiles, make appointments, take payments, make claims etc .... and then merge the profiles together once your data has been imported)
That way you could start using Power Diary immediately. Once your final data has been extracted from your previous system and provided to us for import, we recommend that you only use Power Diary and not your previous system going forward.
Duplicate client profiles should not be merged until the import is fully complete, including the importing of documents/notes. If done prior to this, then the documents/data that have not yet been imported, will not end up in the merged profile.
What we can Import
Depending on the format and the content of the data provided, we are typically able to import the following data into your account:
- Client details
- Client tasks (upcoming notifications)
- Appointments (client, personal, and group)
- Clinical and Admin Notes
- Third Parties (Billers)
- Communications (SMS, letter, and email)
- Documents/Files (see requirements under 'Can you upload documents into the client's profile?' below)
- Financial Information (in some circumstances - see FAQ below);
Depending on where the data came from and what format it is in we may not be able to import all of the above. If this is the case we will contact you upon reviewing the data.
- Recurring appointments are not maintained in the import. This is because the way that this information is stored is very different between systems making it unviable for import. Appointments in a recurring series will instead be imported as individual appointments.
- We import data for all calendars/practitioners. If a calendar has not already been added to the account, (this is done so via Setup → Calendars) we will add the calendar into the account and make it inactive. This will ensure that all of the client and appointment data is imported for that practitioner, but you won't be charged for the calendar (and it won't show when viewing your calendars). You can make the calendar active at any time.
- The data will need to be structured in a table-like format where there is a column header to denote the type of data within each column. Each entry will span across one row. If data is not structured in this format we will not be able to work with it for importing into the database.
- Please ensure that any data is unlocked before sending it to us, or otherwise please email the import or support team the password to unlock the file. This will ensure that the team can access the data once received and avoid any delays.
- The upload of documents to client profiles takes a week or two after your data has been imported, as this process is naturally time-consuming, which involves uploading each document into our server. We recommend you keep a copy of the documents as a reference in the interim while we work on this.
- Appointments must contain a clear link to the client for the appointments to be imported as client appointments. This is typically provided with a column containing the unique client ID or the clients' full name related to the appointment (given there are no duplicate client profiles by full name, if so another unique identifier is required). If there is no clear link to the client the data will be imported as personal appointments with the details of the appointment in the appointment title.
- Imported clients and appointments will not have automated appointment reminders configured. If you'd like to switch on automatic reminders for future appointments this can be done in the Setup menu via Setup → Configuration → Reminders → Switch off 'Automatically send appointment reminders to clients' → Save Changes → Switch the setting back on → Save Changes → Click 'Yes' on the confirmation prompt to apply the change to all existing clients. This will update all imported clients with these reminder settings, as well as ensure that future appointments will receive an automated reminder. Read more about configuring appointment reminders here.
- Session Packs and related data: Session packs and instances thereof cannot currently be imported. If you do have session packs included in your data, our suite of helpdesk articles addressing session packs can be used to manually input this data.
- Invoice numbers. If invoices have been provided for import we may be able to preserve the invoice number from your old system. The invoice number must be specified in the data provided to us, and must meet our requirements (a unique number with no characters). If the numbering does not meet our requirements then the invoice number will be numbered sequentially based on the last invoice number generated in your PD account. The last invoice number can be set in Setup > Configuration > Invoices > "Last Invoice Number". Please ensure that this number matches the last invoice number generated in your previous system to avoid any duplicate invoice numbers being generated in your account as this will impact the import of invoice numbers. The next invoice you create in your PD account will then be numbered sequentially (i.e. if your last invoice number is 1000, the next invoice number generated in PD will be 1001). If there is a clash between the invoice numbers in the data from your old system and the invoices created in your PD account the import team will be in contact to ask your preference of either changing the invoice numbers in the data we import, or changing the invoice numbers in your PD account to be unique.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you upload documents into clients' profiles?
Yes, we can upload documents (such as PDF, Word, HTML, etc) into client records in bulk. However, the data will need to specify the relevant client so that we can upload the data into the correct client profile. This can be managed in two ways:
- (Most preferable) documents are structured in individual folders per client and the folder name identifies the relevant client.
- Documents are listed under one folder, document title must list the client identifier.
The client can be identified with their full name, unique ID, and other unique information (or a combination of unique identifiers i.e name and DOB). As this data is typically larger in size, please compress/zip the data into one file before uploading.