Submitting Claims for Minors
You must fill out your HW027 form to register for Online Claiming. If you or any providers that submit claims through your account have not filled out this form previously please do so immediately. Details on how to fill out the form and submit it to Medicare can be found here. Please keep Question 3 on the form blank.
For children below a certain age, Medicare requires the parent or guardian to be listed as the claimant for any submitted patient claims for services provided to the child. Medicare will then pay the rebate to the parent into their registered bank account. The steps for submitting the patient claim will still remain the same except you will need to select the parent as the claimant before you send the claim.
Firstly, you will need to create the parent/guardian as a contact in the client's record. This is done as follows:
- Go to the client's record and click on Contacts.
- Click + Add a Contact.
- If the contact is an existing client, you can use the client name search to add the client as a contact, or otherwise, click Create a New Contact to enter the parent's details.
- Enter the parent's details including their full name, date of birth, address and Medicare card details.
- Save the contact details.
- In Client Profile > Billing > Billing Setup, select the Bill To setting to Contact. Save. This will allow the system to automatically set the Contact as Claimant for Minor when creating a Patient Claim.
You can then create your patient claim by accessing the invoice, clicking on Medicare and selecting Create Patient Claim. If you have not assigned the contact as the payee to the client's invoices, as advised above, you will need to select the parent as the claimant before sending. This is done by selecting the parent from the drop-down list present in the Claimant section.
The parent only needs to be selected as the claimant for Patient Claims. This is not required for Bulk Bills as the rebate is paid to the provider.