Troubleshooting Xero Exports
In this article:
- How to tell which Xero contacts have been created by Power Diary
- The Account Number already exists or another contact has this Contact Number
- The Contact Name already exists. Please enter a different Contact Name.
- Duplicate Contacts in Xero
- Invoice not of valid status for modification
- Invoice not of valid status for modification, this document cannot be edited as it has a payment or credit note allocated to it
- Payments can only be made against authorised documents
How to tell which Xero contacts have been created by Power Diary
Contacts in Xero that have been created by Power Diary will have a Contact Code (see the red arrow on the picture below). This is the Client Number from Power Diary. Xero does not allow users to edit this number.
The Account Number already exists or another contact has this Contact Number
If you already have contacts in Xero that use the same Contact Number or Account Number, then you will see these messages in Power Diary:
- "The account number already exists, please enter a different account number"
- "Another contact has this contact number, please enter a different contact number"
This means that there is already an existing contact in Xero with same Account Number or Contact Number as the one you are trying to export from Power Diary.
The Account Number / Contact Code can be seen in Xero by editing the contact. The Client Number in Power Diary can be found by looking at the Client details screen.
The most common cause of this issue is that you have archived the Contact in Xero. Review your archived contacts in Xero and you will probably see one in there that matches the details of the Client you are trying to export from Power Diary.
Un-archive this contact and merge them with any other similar ones you may have in Xero, keeping the contact with the Contact Code / Account Number.
The Contact Name already exists. Please enter a different Contact Name.
This indicates that there is a profile in Xero that has this same name combination and therefore this profile cannot be exported. Please check in Xero by searching all Contacts (both archived and unarchived) to determine if the profile is a duplicate or not. If so, you can use the steps in the section below to remedy this.
A key method to link the client profile in Power Diary to the profile in Xero to ensure that the data exports into that Xero contact is to update the Xero Contact ID in the client profile. Steps on how to do this are listed below:
- Go into Power Diary and access the client profile you are exporting the invoices/payments for.
- Navigate into Admin > Manage. On this page you'll see a field 'Xero Contact ID' (if you don't see this field, try setting the Role on this page to include 'Client' and then save, and this should then display the field).
- Access your Xero account and view the contact profile that you would like this clients data to export into. Your URL should look something like: https://go.xero.com/Contacts/View/XXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX
- Highlight and copy all characters showing after https://go.xero.com/Contacts/View/
- Paste this code into the 'Xero Contact ID' field in the client profile in Power Diary and click 'Save Changes'.
- try refreshing your Xero export and attempt to export this client's data.
Duplicate Contacts in Xero
If you use the Company Name field in Power Diary and then export invoices for this client, Xero will create a new contact using the Company Name as the Contact Name. In the example below, the company name in Power Diary was ABC Pty. Ltd. and the Client name was Damien Test.
If you later remove the company name from Power Diary and then export more invoices, Xero will attempt to rename the contact to the Client Name. In this example it would change ABC Pty. Ltd. to Damien Test.
If you already have an existing contact in Xero with this same name (Damien Test) the export will fail because Xero will not allow multiple contacts to have the same name. You may see an Export Result message which reads as follows:
"The existing contact with name 'ABC Pty. Ltd.' cannot be updated to use new name 'Damien Test'. There is an existing contact with that name"
The solution is to merge the contacts in Xero, keeping the Power Diary created contact. See below for how to find out which contact was created by Power Diary.
Invoice not of valid status for modification
You have tried to export the invoice in Draft status when it's already in Xero with another Status. Alternatively, this may mean that you're trying to export payments onto an invoice in Draft status (it needs to be set to approved first).
Invoice not of valid status for modification, this document cannot be edited as it has a payment or credit note allocated to it
The invoice is already in Xero and has payments recorded in Xero.
Payments can only be made against authorised documents
This error indicates that the invoice you are trying to export the payment against has been exported as a Draft status, rather than as Approved. To remedy this you will need to export the invoice(s) again and ensure that they're exported as Approved (this is selected at the bottom of the page). Once they're in Xero as approved you should be able to export the payments onto them.