Practice Setup Guide - The Basics
As a practice manager, you'll be the person who needs to know your Power Diary account from A to Z, and we would like to help you with this task. You are welcome to use the checklist to make sure that your Power Diary account is set up to meet your business needs. It will cover the basic setup steps.
We’re real people here and we love helping health practices! 💡
- Just getting started with Power Diary and not quite sure whether it’s right for your practice? Want to see the highlights and ask us some questions?
Join one of our customer success team members for a walk-through of Power Diary. Choose an upcoming Demo Webinar at a time that suits you…
- Or, Schedule a One-on-One Call
- You may also be interested in “Power Talks” Practice Management Webinars:
All of our past and upcoming “how-to” and practice management-focused webinars are in one place!
In this article:
- Adding Your Business Info and Customisation
- Preparing For Scheduling
- Preparing For Invoicing and Insurance Claiming
- Adding Clients and Client-related Data
- Setting Up Templates
- Using Your Client Portal to Its Full Potential
- Available Integrations
Adding Your Business Info and Customisation
- Set Up Your Business Information
- Add Multiple Locations if you practice from different venues and online
- Configure Communication Settings
- If you prefer using your own SMTP server instead of Power Diary SMTP server, you can switch over using the instructions here.
- Set up the Custom Lists to help you tailor various areas of Power Diary to meet your requirements
If you are moving to Power Diary from another client management system, or have been keeping your own client records, we may help with importing your data. Please have a look here for more specific instructions depending on the client management system you have used so far.
Preparing For Scheduling
- Start with creating User Profiles for each staff member. This will allow them to log in under their own contact details and will help keep track of user activity in the account.
- Each practitioner (a staff member who works with clients and needs to have appointments booked and invoices generated) will also require a Calendar.
- To define each practitioner's availability, make sure you created Rosters for their Calendars for each Location they will practice in.
- The other possible steps required for adding a practitioner to your Power Diary account are covered in the article "Adding a New Practitioner to Your Account".
- Customize your main calendar view following the instructions here.
- Configure automatic and manual appointment reminders.
- To allow your clients to start booking online, set up and customize your Client Portal.
Preparing For Invoicing and Insurance Claiming
- Customize your invoices and receipts layout.
- Create Service Templates for each item code and price amount, to be added to appointments for generating invoices.
- Create Product Templates which are the tangible items you sell to your clients in your practice.
- Create Session Pack Templates - a tracking feature to help you count the number of provided services, or allocated budgets or hours.
- You can enter all your Insurance IDs (Provider Numbers) into Power Diary so that the correct Provider Number is displayed on invoices for each client depending on the insurance policy they have.
- If you already have a list of your referrers, you can add them to your Power Diary account as Referrer Profiles. This will allow you to easily link their referrals with the clients.
- Create Third-Party profiles. This will allow you to select the third parties as Payees for client invoices.
- It is possible to require payments for your appointments in advance.
Adding Clients and Client-related Data
- It is possible to add clients to your account in four different ways.
- When a client is added, a client profile is generated for them. This article provides an overview of its contents.
- Add Contacts information to client profiles.
- Add existing referrals to client profiles.
- Using the Tasks feature will help you to stay on top of managing your clients.
- Set up client billing information in Client Profile > Billing > Billing Setup for the ease of generating invoices.
- Add client insurance details.
You will need to repeat this step every time a new referral is provided for the client.
Setting Up Templates
To automate certain types of communication with your clients, payees, and referrers, and to easily create client notes and online forms, make sure to set up your templates.
- Create your Clinical and Admin Notes templates.
- Create your Online Form templates.
- Create your Communication templates (SMS, email and letters)
Using Your Client Portal to Its Full Potential
- Set up the Client Portal.
- This guide to Client Portal Access and Settings will help to fine-tune the settings.
- Now you are ready to add your Client Portal to your website.
- Share this manual with your clients to make their experience more enjoyable.
It is possible to allow Contacts to book appointments on behalf of your clients via the Client Portal.
These integrations may help to organize your business processes in the most efficient way:
- Use integration with Stripe to securely process online payments and store client credit card details.
- Learn how to connect your account to MailChimp and send email addresses to a list.
- It is possible to sync your Power Diary calendar with your Google Calendar.
- Connect your Power Diary and Xero accounts and send your data to Xero.
- Integrate with Physitrack.
This is a list of integrations available to Australia-based accounts only:
Have a look at the Related Articles listed below for instructions for the other roles.
We would appreciate any feedback! If you think this article needs more instructions added or some part of it clarified, do not hesitate to email us and share your thoughts!