Sending Online Forms
In this article, you will learn how to send forms to your clients. Before you start, make sure you have already created an Online Form Using the Form Designer.
In this article:
Send a Form to your Client via an Email/SMS Template
Each form you create inside the Form Designer comes with its unique merge field. You can place this merge field inside an email/SMS template. Upon sending such an email/SMS template, two things will happen:
- The form will be automatically created in the client's profile to whom the email template was sent.
- The merge field inside the email/SMS will be replaced with a link to the form. Clients can click on this link to start filling the form and submit the information.
In short, by setting up your email/SMS template with a form merge field, you can quickly send a form to your client. No need to generate the form or copy/paste the link. This will be done automatically by the merge field inside the email/SMS template when sent each time. Here's how you can set this up:
- Go to Tools → Form Designer.
- Open the Online Form you want to add to an email template. On the top of the form, click Get Message Merge Field.
- Click the Copy Merge Field button.
- Go to Tools → Communication → Templates. Open the email/SMS template of your choice or create a new one.
- Paste the form merge field you copied earlier inside the email/SMS template. (The form link will be displayed instead of this when you generate the email/SMS template inside a client profile.)
- Click Save.
Automate Sending Forms to all Clients via the Client Portal
Having Online Forms you've setup be distributed to either new clients or all appointments is possible via the Portal - here are the necessary steps:
- Follow the above Steps 1 to 3 to copy the merge field.
- Next, go to Setup → Client Portal → Notifications and click on Edit Template for the form in question.
- Paste the whole merge field into the content, adding some instructional text for your clients if you'd like, and then click Save Changes.
Manually Send a Form to a Client
Before you can send a form to your client, you will need to generate it in your client's profile. Here's how you can do this:
- Go to the client's profile to whom you want to send the form.
- Navigate to Records → Forms or Admin → Forms based on the type of form you want to create. (Clinical forms are generated in the Records page. Admin Forms are generated in the Admin page).
- Click + Create New on the top-left corner and choose a form template from the drop-down list.
- You will see two new fields: Name and Expiry Date. Use the Name field to change the name of your form. And with the Expiry Date setting, select the date until which your client can access the form.
- Scroll down to the end of the form and click Save as Draft.
Once done, scroll up and click X on the top-right corner of the form to exit Edit mode. That's it. You have successfully generated the form!
There are three ways you can send this generated form:
- Copy/paste the form link. This will give you a link that you can share with a client with which they can fill the form directly from their computer/mobile phone.
- Printing the form: This will allow you to print out a physical copy of the form or download the form as a PDF.
- Emailing the form PDF: This will directly email the form PDF to the client.
Do not paste the Online Form merge field directly inside an email in the client's profile. Instead, paste the merge field in the email template first in Tools → Communication → Templates - and then select the email template in the client's profile. This will ensure the form and its link generates properly.
That's it. Now go to the client's profile and navigate to Communication → New Email. Select the email template that has the merge field of the form you want to send - and then send that email.
If the client hasn't completed a form it'll remain in 'Draft' mode. If you then send the client a communication template with a merge field to the same form, the system will detect a Draft that already exists and sends them a link to the original form, rather than generating a new form. This is to prevent duplicate copies of empty forms from being created in a client's profile.
Changing the Expiry Date
Once a created Online Form crosses its default 30-day expiry date, the link you have sent your client will expire. To reactivate the form link for your client you will need to extend the expiry date of the form. Here's how you can do this:
- Go to the profile of the client who cannot access their Online Form.
- Navigate to Records → Forms or Admin → Forms and find the form that your client cannot access.
- Click on the Pencil icon on the top-right corner to go into Edit Mode.
- In the Expiry Date box, extend the date as per your requirements.
- Scroll down and click Save.
Your client will now be able to access the form using the link again. With the above example, there is no expiry date which means they can complete it any time.