Activating Two Factor Authentication
Two Factor Authentication (2FA for short) adds a second layer of security to your Power Diary account. By turning this on, the user will be asked to enter a 6-digit code each time they log in - in addition to their standard email address and password. In Power Diary, you can turn on 2FA for yourself and any other user in your account.
Let’s get started.
In this article:
How to set up 2FA inside your Power Diary Account
To set up and configure 2FA, follow these steps:
- On the top-right corner of your dashboard, click on your name. In the pop-up menu that appears, click on Profile.
- Toggle the switch that says Use Two Factor Authentication.
- A security question form will appear (if it doesn’t, click on Configure Two Factor Authentication). Here, choose three security questions and memorize the answers for them.
Please make sure the answers for your security questions are spelt correctly. If there are any typos/incorrect words, you won't be able to access your account. If this happens, you'll have to ask your account's administrator/master user to do the following:
- Step 1: Go to Settings → Users and click on your username.
- Step 2: Turn off the Require Two Factor Authentication switch and click Save.
- Step 3: Re-enable the Require Two Factor Authentication and click Save.
This will reset your security questions and you'll be able to log in again.
If you are the Master User of the account and would like to re-set the Security questions:
- Step 1: In you are already logged in, click on the Business Name in top-right corner and select Profile;
- Step 2: Click on the Configure Two Factor Authentication green button and re-set the security questions. Save.
If you are unable to log in as a Master User, please email at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Once done, you’ll be asked to enter an authorization code. To do so, follow these steps:
- Install the Google Authenticator app on your Android or iOS device and open the app. (an alternative app is Authy)
- Click on the red + button and click on Scan a barcode. Your phone’s camera will open up. Use it to scan the QR code on your Power Diary account.
- After the QR code is scanned, a six-digit code will appear. Copy and paste it quickly under the QR code and click Save.
Doing so will enable 2FA, which you will see when you log in to your account the next time. But make sure you have your phone with you. Because without your device that has the Google Authenticator/Authy app, you won’t be able to log in Power Diary. However, if you don’t have your phone with you, you can answer the security questions instead to login to your account.
Once enabled, every time you log in, you will be asked to enter the 2FA code from your authentication app in the provided field:
If you click on the 'Don't have your Authenticator App?' link, you will be offered to answer the security questions you have set up:
How to turn on 2FA for Your Power Diary Account Users
Using 2FA is optional. You can turn it on/off for users in your account at any time. To enable/disable 2FA for a user, follow these steps:
Only the master user will be able to see the 2 Factor Authentication settings. If you are a user, please reach out to the master user requesting them to turn this setting on for you.
- Navigate to Settings → Users using the left-hand menu on the dashboard.
- Click on the name of the user for whom you want to enable 2FA.
- Under the Authentication section, toggle the switch labelled Require Two Factor Authentication.
Click the Save button to save the changes. The user will be asked to set up 2FA the next time they log in to their Power Diary account, identical to the above process.
4. The User management page includes a column titled "2FA" that states "Yes" for any user that has either 2FA required or 2FA enabled. Required is where another user with access to this page may switch on "2FA required" for the user, and next time that user logs in they will have to set up 2FA before accessing the account. If a user sets up 2FA for their own profile, then it is considered "enabled". This is to assist account holders to make sure all users have 2FA switched on to abide by the security protocols.
Troubleshooting ‘Wrong Code’ Message
If you are getting the wrong code error when logging in to your Power Diary account in spite of entering the correct authentication code, there may be an issue with your date/time settings. First, try making sure that your phone’s date and time settings are in sync with the Google Authenticator app. To do so:
- Go to the main menu on the Google Authenticator app;
- Click Settings.
- Click Time Correction For Codes.
- Click Sync Now. This will sync the clock of the authenticator app with your phone’s date and time - after which, you’ll be able to enter the authentication code and sign in properly. If the authentication code is not working, try adjusting your phone’s date and time settings.
- Click here to set the correct time on your Android device.
- Click here to set the correct time on your iOS device.
If you are unable to access your Power Diary account, you can contact us at email@example.com. We can only assist those users who have Setup access to their accounts. If you do not have Setup access, contact someone who does or the account holder first to let them know of this issue.
How to Deactivate 2FA
- After you log in to your Power Diary account,
1. Click on the business name at the top-right;
2. Select Profile;
3. Turn off the 'Use Two Factor Authentication' switch;
4. Save the changes.
If you are the account's master user, or you have access to the Settings menu, you are able to disable the 2FA for your accounts users, if necessary. To do so,
1. Navigate to Settings > Users;
2. Open the user profile to edit;
3. Turn off the 'Require Two Factor Authentication' toggle;
4. Save the changes.