Adding and Managing Payments
Accidents happen when invoicing or receiving payments from clients. That’s why Power Diary lets you easily allocate/reallocate payments made by clients from one invoice to another.
In this article:
How To Add a New Payment To An Invoice
Adding a new payment to an invoice is easy.
- If you haven’t already, create an appointment with your client in your Power Diary calendar.
- Click on the appointment you just created to open the Appointments Panel. Scroll to the bottom until you see the Invoice section. Here, simply choose a service/product you’d like to add to your invoice. To add multiple services/products click the +Add Item button.
- Click on the +Add Payment button and choose your desired payment method and amount. Then click Save. You can add multiple payments to an invoice using this method.
If you’d like to process payments through Stripe, go set it up by going to SETUP → Credit Card Billing on your Power Diary dashboard.
By following these three steps, Power Diary will automatically create an invoice and add one or more payments. To see what the invoice looks like, click on the Printer icon to view/download it as a PDF.
If you want, you can also add payments by clicking on the pencil icon on the Invoice section of a particular appointment. On the Edit Invoice page, scroll down until you see a +Add Payment button and add your desired payments to your client’s invoice.
How To Unallocate Payments From An Invoice
Occasionally, you may encounter instances where you need to unallocate payments from an existing invoice - and reallocate it to another one.
For example, suppose a client accidentally overpaid for their first appointment. In this case, you might want to reallocate part of the payment from the first appointment invoice to the second appointment.
Here’s how to do that:
- Click on the appointment that includes the payment you want to reallocate. When the Appointments Panel opens up, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Pencil icon next to the Invoice section.
- The Edit Invoice page will open up. Here, scroll to the bottom until you see the Invoice Payments section. You’ll see the payments made by your client for the invoice.
- Click on the payment you’d like to reallocate. A small window will pop-up where you’ll see a field called Amount Allocated to Invoice. Simply reduce the amount in that field to a payment number you actually want to charge your client. Click Save.
This will successfully unallocate the remaining amount from the invoice, allowing you to reallocate it to another invoice of your choice.
How To Allocate An Existing Payment To An Invoice
Once you unallocate payments from an invoice, you can reallocate it to another invoice.
- Create an invoice by following the steps laid out in the first section i.e. How To Allocate Payments To An Invoice.
- Click on the appointment you’d like to pay.. When the Appointments Panel opens up, scroll down and click on the Pencil icon on the Invoice section.
- The Edit Invoice page will open up. Scroll to the bottom until you see the Invoice Payments section. Click on the +Add Payment button.
- A window will pop-up where you’ll see the Use Existing Payment button. Enable it.
- This will enable a new field called Choose Existing Payment. Click on it to see the list of all existing payments that are unallocated for that client. Choose the payment that you’d like to use and click Save.
If you change your mind about allocating a payment to an invoice, you can easily remove it. Just click on the appointment to open the side panel. Scroll down till you see the Invoice section and click the bin icon next to a payment to delete it.
Applying a bulk payment to multiple Invoices
You can quickly apply a single payment to multiple invoices. This is useful if, for example, you had multiple invoices outstanding, and the client made one payment for the total amount.
This is how:
- Go to Sales & Payments → New Payment. Search/select the relevant client which will take you to their Payments page.
- Enter the Payment Date, Method and Amount and click Save
- The client’s outstanding invoices will show. Tick the Invoices you’d like to pay and click Save.
Done! The payment will be applied across the invoices you selected.